With the COVID-19 pandemic changing daily, we’re rounding up the latest updates and information relevant to events professionals.
Here are the biggest stories you need to know for the week ahead:
Northern Territory reopens border
The Northern Territory has reopened its border to Greater Sydney and removed the requirement for travellers from Greater Sydney to undertake mandatory supervised quarantine.
On 8 October, deputy chief health officer Dr Charles Pain said despite there being some cases in New South Wales, the NSW chief health officer has demonstrated Greater Sydney has no unexplained COVID-19 cases at this stage.
“I am also confident in the thorough testing and contact tracing response in NSW, and that this outbreak is contained,” said Pain.
“With this advice presented to the AHPPC, and our own review of the evidence, I remain confident about revoking Greater Sydney as a hot spot from tomorrow.”
Pain also confirmed that from Monday 2 November, most of regional Victoria will no longer be a hotspot for the purposes of travel to the Northern Territory.
Canberra relaxes restrictions for corporate events
Step 3.2 of Canberra’s recovery plan came into effect at 9am on Friday 9 October 2020.
As part of the plan, all gatherings have now been increased to 200 people and large indoor seated venues, including the National Convention Centre Canberra, can operate at 50 per cent capacity, up to 1,000 people.
The one person per four square metres rule still applies.
View the latest guidelines for events across Australia here.
New webinar from Melbourne Convention Bureau
In anticipation of the restart of events across Melbourne, a new educational webinar series is set to kick off next week by Melbourne Convention Bureau (MCB).
The new series will cover a range of industry topics, including venue safe protocols, hybrid event solutions, team-building ideas, plus business event venues and experiences on offer in Melbourne.
The series kicks off on Thursday 15 October with guest speakers from Melbourne Exhibition and Convention Centre (MCEC), who will share an overview of the venue’s new virtual and hybrid event solutions.
MCB director of corporate meetings and incentives Joanna Garrie will be joined by MCEC business development specialists Jade Carter and Krystle Mutton for the webinar.
Industry welcomes federal budget
The CEO of the Association of Australian Convention Bureaux (AACB), Andrew Hiebl, has welcomed the 2020-2021 Federal Budget, saying it includes the “biggest announcement our industry has ever received” in the previously confirmed $50 million business events fund.
Announced on Tuesday 6 October, the budget included a number of funding initiatives to support tourism, business events and regional destinations.
Tourism Australia, which includes Business Events Australia, will receive $231.6 million for 2020-21, specifically to “ramp up” domestic marketing activities and encourage Australians to travel again.
This funding is in addition to the $50 million business events grants program, announced last month with the goal to restart business events, including conferences, meetings and trade exhibitions.
“The reconfirmation of the $50 million business events grant program through the budget is the key benefit for our sector,” Hiebl told Spice News.
“Through the Business Events Council of Australia we will continue to work with government on the design of the program and aim to do that as quickly as possible so the benefits can flow through.”
Looking for leading event venues and suppliers? A LIST Guide has you covered.