The COVID-19 crisis continues to develop daily and with that, restrictions on travel and gatherings are changing regularly.
On Tuesday (14 July) the Queensland Government declared two local government areas in New South Wales as COVID-19 hotspots, following multiple new cases linked to the the Crossroads Hotel at Casula, in south-western Sydney.
Liverpool and Campbelltown in NSW are now listed as hotspots, which means anyone who has been in those areas within the last 14 days will no longer be able to quarantine in Queensland and will be turned away at the border.
“This outbreak is incredibly concerning, and we are taking it very seriously,” said Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles.
It comes as 13 new cases were recorded in NSW on Wednesday 15 July, including 10 cases associated with the Crossroads Hotel cluster.
13 new cases of #COVID19 have been diagnosed in NSW between 8pm on 12 July and 8pm on 13 July.
There were 10 cases associated with the Crossroads Hotel cluster and all are residents of the South Western Sydney area. 2 new confirmed cases were overseas acquired. pic.twitter.com/IDfJrv5LhE
— NSW Health (@NSWHealth) July 14, 2020
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has urged anyone who visited the Crossroads Hotel, Casula between 3-10 July to come forward for testing and to self-isolate for 14 days.
“The next two to four weeks are critical for NSW,” Berejiklian said via Twitter.
Since then, The Macarthur Tavern and the West Leagues Club, both in Campbelltown NSW, have been forced to close for cleaning after patrons tested positive for COVID-19.
New measures for NSW venues
In response to the outbreak, Berejiklian announced new measures for pub venues, which will come into effect at 12:01am Friday 17 July.
Under the new measures, pubs will be limited to 300 people at anyone time, individual bookings will be limited to 10 people and a dedicated COVID Safe Hygiene Marshall must oversee social distancing, cleaning and hygiene at the venue.
“We are at a crucial stage of the pandemic in NSW – we want venues strictly implementing their COVID-Safe plans and customers abiding by the rules of the venue they are in,” said Berejiklian.
SA delays border reopening, NT reconsiders as well
South Australia has delayed the reopening of its borders to NSW and ACT resident, which was initially planned for 20 July.
Premier Steven Marshall said the increase in cases in NSW has created too much uncertainty.
“We know this is going to be very inconvenient…but our primary responsibility in South Australia is to the health, safety and welfare of all South Australians,” he said.
— Isabel Dayman (@IsabelDayman) July 14, 2020
Similarly, the Northern Territory Government is set to decide whether to ban visitors from NSW, ahead of its scheduled reopening of borders set for this Friday.
Health Minister Natasha Fyles said the government will listen to clinical advice before announcing their decision today, 15 July.
Victoria’s cases on the rise
Victoria has reported 238 new cases today, 15 July, bringing the state’s total active cases to 1,931. The state also recorded once death overnight.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews fronted media on Tuesday to thank the thousands of residents who have come forward for COVID-19 testing.
On Tuesday, more than 21,000 residents had come forward for testing, which Andrews said was “a very significant effort” given Melbourne is currently in lockdown.
Featured image credit: Sydney Morning Herald via Twitter